What’s on my hook? Recently I’ve been doing simple, small crochet projects for babies. Left over yarn scraps and a ball of baby soft wool both came in handy. Here’s what I learned.
Baby Girl Crochet Dress
- Browse and research well on You Tube, Etsy, Ravelry, CrochetCrowd on FB and other sites for patterns.
- Do a proper read through to understand/grasp.
- As a beginner, choose something simple and easy to finish within a time frame.
- If trying out a new stitch, make a small tester sample. What lessons did you learn about the hook size, yarn tension, suitability of colour, yarn and pattern for that particular piece?
- Adjust and apply this knowledge.
- Take a T shirt or dress of the required size, or visit a children’s shop for accurate measuring. Some sites offer details of size, some are dodgy.
This dress is worked top – down. Begin at neckline with 55 chains (or as required) and work a single crochet into each for a firm neckline. Add next 3-4 rows of dc.
Pattern from WoolyWondersCrochet.
A good idea is to watch the tutorial video few times, if you are a beginner, to understand the process. Choosing pastel or soft colours, soft wool is advisable.
Crochet Unisex Vest
Baby soft acrylic or cashmere wool is great for this project. Decide the size ( a plus ) is always better. You want the piece worn for couple of years at least. The reward for your time, skill and patience!
I made up this pattern ‘on the go’ to practice a variety of stitches, see the outcome of design and texture and become a sampler vest. Finished size measures 9 and 1/2 inches across and 13 inches height.
Row 1: Slip knot and chain to make size of 9 and 1/2 inches across.
Row 2: Add 3-4 rows of single crochet in each chain stitch, this serves as a border.
Row 3 – 12: Basket weave stitch till the required height is reached. Chain 2, at end of each row and turn. Measure and adjust using sample shirt.
Row 13: Slip stitch into first 3-4 stitches, this makes sleeve indent. Then dc all the way across. Last 3-4 stitches slip stitch for sleeve indent.
Add more rows, measure height and make neckline. Add dc to both sides to make straps, add buttonhole by making 2-3 chain stitch /loop.
There are many YouTube crochet vest sites for detailed patterns.
Best of luck! Do add a photo of your work.
Please do not link or copy this site. Please contact me for using any photos or material. I devote much patience and time for making this blog and I’m happy to share it.
Do share your work with me too.
All content and images copyright Veena S. (2013 -2017) http://www.walktomarket.wordpress.com. Please see copyright disclaimer.